Baby Adventure #2

*Non-Advertorial*
Ovulation Predictor Kit
(OPK Kit) 


Like I promised in my last Baby Adventure post (here) I promised you I would write about OPK Kits in order to help you but also give you a bit more incite of what Alexander and I are doing to help us get pregnant. 

Before we get started I want to tell you where I got my OPK Kit from as there are Pharmacists and Super Drugs that also sell them at different prices depending on the brand, also. For us, Alexander had brought 'Clear Blue Ovulation Test Kit' from
Boots Pharmacy £15.99. Alexander paid £26 so it depends what town your Boots Pharmacy is located, he was obviously ripped-off. Inside includes seven ovulation tests and one pregnancy test. Honestly, I wouldn't use the pregnancy test until I was at least two weeks late of my period - let's call it After Flow (AF for short.) 

Me, I am normally a couple days early, or up to two weeks late for my AF depending on how crazy my hormones were that month. My menstrual cycle wasn't 'regular' from all the stress and change I have been through in the first few months, but cleverly, I decided that I would wait until six months to use OPK Kits as the result of regulating my menstrual cycle and teaching myself meditation in order to relax. So far, spot on and I am pretty regular now; I recommend it to any of you lovely ladies who are feeling stressed or hormonal on a regular basis. Please let me know if it works for you - give it about 3 months before you feel results.



Ovulation Tests in the Purple foil wrappers.
Pregnancy Test in the Blue foil wrapper.


Let's get started on the What's, How's, When's and Why's.
My source of information is on the leaflet inside this Clear Blue OPK Kit.


How Clear Blue Ovulation Tests work for you
The Ovulation Tests work by detecting an increase in the hormone called luteinising hormone (hence LH Surge) in your urine. You are at your most fertile on the day of your LH Surge is detected and the day after, which occurs approximately 24-36 hours prior to the release of an egg from your ovaries - a process called ovulation.


How accurate are Clear Blue EASY Ovulation Tests?
After extensive laboratory trials, the Ovulation Tests are proven to be 99% accurate in detecting the LH Surge prior to ovulation.

When to start testing
The day that the LH Surge is occurs varies on woman to woman and from one cycle to the other. To work out your cycle length, count the day your period starts as Day 1, and continue counting through the day before your period starts. The number of days is your cycle length (Day 1 is when your mentrual cycle starts.) Once you know your usual cycle length, you have the best chance of detecting your LH Surge with the number of Test Sticks provided in the OPK Kit.

Use the table below to work out the day you should start testing. Thankfully, it is a really simple table that even I can read it *haha*

You can test at any time of the day, but it should be at the same time each day. Conveniently, most women test first thing in the morning; it's important you haven't urinated for 4 hours before testing and you should avoid excessive fluid intake before testing.


Length of your cycle (days)                21 or less     22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39  40   41+  Count the first day of your cycle 
as 1,start testing on the day shown         5            5     6     7     8     9     10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22  23   see below
under your cycle length                                                                                                                                                           



If your cycle length is out side of the range shown on the table
If your cycle length is 21 days or less, start testing on Day 5, and if your cycle length is over 40 Days start testing 17 days before you expect your next period. I hope that makes sense to you; basically find the day you are due on your period, and count backward 17 days and that is the day you should test.
If you don't know your usual cycle length or your usual cycle length varies, scroll down to that section.




When are your 2 most fertile days?
Your two most fertile days begin from the time that your ovulation test detects an LH Surge, then any time within the next 48 hours send your partner upstairs and make love to maximise your chances of becoming pregnant. 

Honestly, if I was you, as soon as I saw that the Ovulation Test detected an LH Surge, I would jump on my partner - no time wasted, no time to accidentally miss the egg being released from my ovaries. 


If you do not know your usual cycle length or your cycle length varies, read below.
You are advised to wait for one menstrual cycle so you can note the length of the cycle before using the ovulation tests. If your cycle varies by more than 3 days then choose the shortest cycle you had over the last 6 months to work out when to start testing. It is possible you may need to use additional Test Sticks to detect your LH Surge in which you will need to start a new pack to continue testing (obviously.)






PERFORMING A TEST
  1. When you are ready to test, open the foil wrapper by tearing along the slit. Then Remove the Test Stick and take off the cap. Remember to use the test as soon as it you've removed the foil. Simple.
  2. Hold the Absorbent Sampler pointing downwards in your urine stream for 5 seconds. Alternatively, collect a sample of your urine in a clean, dry container and hold just the Absorbent Sample in the urine for 20 seconds.
  3. Keep the Absorbent Sampler pointing downwards or lay the test stick flat. You may now wish to replace the cap. Read the result after 3 minutes.


READING YOUR RESULTS

The test result is obtained by comparing the strength of colour of the Surge Line with the Reference Line; LH Surge line is the blue line on the left. (See the picture below of my test if did.) The Reference Line (right) indicates that you have performed the test correctly. Read your test result within 10 minutes of doing a test; disregard any changes after this time. 


    I I                                                 I I
No Surge Line                                                                    Surge Line
If there is no Surge line, or it is paler than                     If the Surge line is similar to, or darker than the Reference
the Reference Line, you have not detected                           Line you have detected your LH Surge and you have reached

your LH Surge. Test again the next day at                            your most fertile time. Make love at any time during the next

the same time.                                                                       48 hours to maximise your chances of becoming pregnant.
                                                                                      There is no need to carry on testing during this cycle.

Predicting when I may ovulate has been a little bit difficult in a way, as the result of my menstrual cycle ranging between 28 day to 31 days (still in the 'normal range') and so my friend [I mentioned in my first Baby Adventure post (here) ] counted the days and figured out when my possible day of ovulation is. She figured out whether it was the 24th or the 27th of this month, however, I took an ovulation test on the morning of the 24th, and sadly, this was what I saw:


No LH surge


If I think I have become pregnant, what should I do?
You can find out you are pregnant by using the Clear Blue PLUS Pregnancy Test provided in your pack. You should see your Doctor if you see 'Pregnant' shown as a result on the test, who can then tell you on what steps to take next. The earlier you see your Doctor, the better it is for your health.


I've used Clear Blue EASY Ovulation Tests for several months and haven't become pregnant, can I be sure of getting pregnant?
Many reasons are a result of not conceiving if you have been able to make love at your most fertile time, but if after several months you've had no success, you should consult your Doctor. However, it can take many months to achieve a pregnancy.




Additional questions from the leaflet that could answer any questions you have

What time of day should I carry out the test?
You should test approximately the same time each day and you should not urinate before 4 hours after your last urine release. You can also test at any time of the day as long as your next test is on the same time the next day.


Do I need to use all of the tests?
No. You can stop using the tests once you have detected your LH Surge. Save the left over tests for the next cycle, if necessary.

---------------

The picture above is my Ovulation Test from the 24th of last month. Not to be put down, I remembered that I still had three more days to ovulate before it was too late. However, I thought I had ovulated earlier on in the month, so who knows, maybe I ovulated then. The fact that I have sexual intercourse every two to three days, boosts my confidence of conceiving as I have always got sperm inside me ready for when the egg drops. Sorry Mum, but you did tell me to 'keep busy and make your grandchild.' 

My mum is very supportive in me making a grandchild for her. When I questioned her asking if she is sure she wants to be a Nana, surprisingly and amusingly she replied: "Yeah, i could be a cool young Nanna, taking them clubbing n everything. Can see myself granny rocking on Ibiza with grand kids." What I noticed first was 'them'. THEM?! I know it's my generation to have Triplets and Twins as that is the 'pattern' in the family, but I really just want one at a time; Boy then Girl. The fact I am a twin myself, I have heard that it gives me more of a chance of conceiving twins. Dayum; time will tell if that is a load of baloney or not.

Trailed off slightly. So as I said, I took an ovulation kit on the 24th and there was no LH surge shown, so on the 27th I took another ovulation test and got the same result - No LH Surge. 

As this is my first time using an OPK Kit, I am realising that it is more difficult than it looks so I realise it could take a couple of months before I conceive. Nonetheless, as this is my 6th Month of trying, and I already have the gist of when I ovulate, I am positive that within a few months I will become pregnant using these OPK Kits.

Seeing that I had no LH Surge on either the 24th or the 27th (my friend figured it out,) I now know that I first figured it out right when I followed the chart. I ovulated on the 14th day of my cycle which would have been the 21st of the month. Luckily, I had sex three days prior and on the day so hopefully *fingers crossed* it has worked and I have conceived, but I am not getting my hopes up.

If I have calculated right today is 16 days after I ovulated, IF I ovulated, and was supposed to be the day before my due AF date. However, that is just going off an app that helps me figure out when I am due on my period, but I also have another app. The first app I have had for a few years which is called 'My Days,' likewise, the other app is called 'My Period Tracker,' which I have only used for 6 months. I trust them both as they are both accurate, though, this month both apps predict different days.

My Days has predicted I was due on my period on the 2nd, and My Period Tracker had predicted the 7th. I figured I just had to wait and see which one was more accurate than the other.

Let's back track a second. On the 2nd I took a pregnancy test and it came up negative, however, the test was quite odd as the line that's always supposed to be there was only half-lined so I thought the test was unreliable; a digital test on the 7th will be better if I hadn't already gotten my period. Alexander was feeling positive, on the other hand, I was not; stomach cramps had started. He had noticed changes in my body and the size of my breasts have doubled and are sore, but was not putting it down to anything as my body could just be changing during the PMS time.

---------------

Finally, sad to let you all know, I have gotten my period. Honestly. I would say I was expecting it, however, it was still a shock when I came on - it was heartbreaking. even though I had a hunch that this month was not my month.

How is your trying going so far? I would like to know how you are feeling; whether is positivity and hope, or negativity and depression. 


Thank you for following my baby adventure so far! 



REMEMBER: I have started a chat via Twitter with the hashtag #babyadventure where you can interact and chat about anything 'trying for a baby' or 'motherhood' related. Please do contribute! The chat will start 6pm [GMT] on Monday evening. THIS EVENING. Follow me on Twitter @lnohara95



Much love,

IconIcon

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing the post.. parents are worlds best person in each lives of individual..they need or must succeed to sustain needs of the family.
    Ovulation Tracker

    ReplyDelete

Every comment is much appreciated and I am grateful that you had taken the time to leave your thoughts. Comments with questions and NEED to replied to will be replied to within 24hrs. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
✿ Facebook // 87
❀ Instagram // 450
✿ Twitter // 3493

Follow



2017 Copyright of ❀ Lauren O'Hara (c) ✿
All Rights Reserved!
Custom Branding & Design By
Krystal Marie Design Studio